Sunday 18 September 2011

Sombre Harvest

Before I went to celebrate Harvest with St German's Parish this morning, after reflecting on the Cil-y-Bebyll mine accident, I decided to email Archbishop Barry and express my support for him  at this tragic time for the people of his home valley, from one miner's son to another. We brought the Paschal Candle from the font, and lit it in the midst of the church to remind us of those who had died.

The Mass was followed by an excellent lunch in the Parish Hall next door. I sat next to Fr Malcolm Brooks, former Vicar of my home town Ystrad Mynach, and we chatted about the village and people remembered from my youth, and about the lost community culture and values of the coal mining era. It was natural to do so in the light of current events. 

After lunch, instead of going home, I went into the office for a couple of hours to see if there was anything more I could do to advance preparations for this week's radio network upgrade. Yesterday, I learned that the engineers had encountered problems with their side of the operation and this would mean a late start. We have so much to get through in two working days, I can't see this project being completed to schedule.

It was such a comfort to leave all these worries behind on the desk and return to St Germans for the comfort of Evensong and Benediction. Only half a dozen of us were present, but we sang without inhibition while the evening sun streamed through clouds of incense into the holy of holies. I guess it's the contrasts and paradoxes of the worlds I move in and out of which give me most pleasure.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment