Sunday 11 March 2012

Quite an unusual Sunday.

An extra early start this morning to drive through sun streaked mist to Bassaleg Parish Church for the eight thirty service to hear Rufus preach to a congregation of twenty eight over fifties. I was pleased with this photo taken in the churchyard on my way in.
I was also pleased with this one too, of the church lych gate, surmounted by an image of Archangel Michael, erected as a memorial to soldiers who died in the 1914-18 war.
 
I drove straight home after the service, and then rode into town on my bike, to avoid parking hassles, as I also had a date to hear 'Becca preach at the St John's Sunday Eucharist. I was delighted to see lots of new faces and people of all ages among a congregation of about sixty people. So good to know there is evidence of new life and growth there. As ever, people were pleased to see me and some greeted me with big hugs after the service.

Kath, Anto and Rhiannon arrived yesterday - Anto went with sister Viv to the big Rugby match between Wales and Italy. We took Rhiannon to the park when they arrived and Owain came over to join us for supper before his evening deejay gig. Anto wasn't with us for lunch as he had a band rehearsal this afternoon. The rock band of his youth - 'The Third Uncles' - is preparing a reunion gig for this autumn's 'Swn' festival in Cardiff so its somewhat mature members get together occasionally to rehearse. I'd love to be a fly on the wall!

It was warm enough to have lunch in the garden, and sit round in the sun afterward, playing drawing games with Rhiannon, before their departure to pick up Anto and go home at tea time. Then, I spent a couple of hours writing sermon evaluations while my memory of both was still fresh. I helped having seen the material they were working with during the week beforehand, even if the output was different. It's made me think about the value of preaching today. As I have to give some input to Tuesday's tutor group meeting, perhaps I'll do something around this theme.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment