Thursday 3 August 2017

Church duties, home front

I walked to St Catherine's to celebrate the midweek Eucharist yesterday morning for nine of us. Afterwards, Clare arrived by car to meet me, and we drove to Abergavenny under grey skies spitting rain, to meet our old friends Mike and Gail for lunch in St Mary's Priory Tithe Barn restaurant. Despite the poor weather, we strolled around town after lunch, and through the fields down to the river Usk and back before parting company. The first time we met here, summer four years ago, it was a bright sunny day. Last year at this time we came to the National Eisteddfod here, and it was more summery. Today was a typically disappointing British summer day. No wonder millions migrate south for a week or so in the sun at this time of year.

When we returned, I had a bereavement visit to make at the top end of Grangetown for a funeral that I was asked to do while I was still in Spain. I decided to walk, needing the exercise and not wanting to lose my car parking place in the street. It rained lightly all the way there, so I got soaked, and again cursed the weather. That didn't do my cold any good. It continues to develop uncomfortably.

Today I walked to St John's the celebrate the midweek Eucharist for ten of us. Afterwards, Clare and I met and visited a solicitor's office on Llandaff Road, to start revising our Wills. The first and only time we did this was in the days before we left Halesowen for Geneva. Names and addresses have changed, all the children have come of age, there are different considerations to be taken into account new. Last night I scanned and edited my original copy into a digital file. I find this easier to work on and correct. Clare couldn't be persuaded to do the same. Still, the process is under way now. If all goes to plan, we'll be signing them before we set off for Switzerland in two weeks time, for my next six week locum spell at Montreux.

After lunch, I planned to go into town and meet with Ashley and Julie, but during the morning the effect of the cold on me worsened. Rather than fight it, I simply went to bed and slept, ministered to by Clare with some strange tasting herbal concoction, to boost my immune system, I believe. Just before supper, I felt well enough to check emails, and found I'd received another funeral request for the week after next. It's nice to be back, working in my home parish with friendly people, and for a change, not to have to drive for an hour before taking a church service.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment