Sunday 9 May 2010

A memorable wedding

Yesterday, Vanessa and Keith got married at St John's. They invited my predecessor Mac Ellis and I to share the service between us, and scores of Vanessa's musician friends took part. Just about the whole of the regular congregation turned out to celebrate with them. The music was glorious, and there was a 'vin d'honneur' with lots of cake in church afterwards. There must have been 250 people there, such a happy occasion. Clare and I joined the family feast in the evening at New House Country Hotel, and that was a splendid occasion with superb food and funny speeches from Vanessa's brothers.
This is the only wedding St John's has booked for this year. But, it was truly a 'quality' wedding in which the deeply sincere Christian meaning of marriage was upheld and rejoiced in by all who took part, as can happen when two members of the regular congregation meet, fall in love and marry. A memory to treasure.

I went to the Cathedral Sung Eucharist at eleven this morning, and found the music and indeed the traditional full Prayer Book service was just what I needed to be on the receiving end of, having been on the giving end of the same kind of experience for the past seven and a half years, I find I have not tired of it. More than anything at the moment, I need to be quiet, to wait and receive (as well as get on with the necessary unpacking and adjustments to lifestyle), so I appreciate living so near. When I'm properly organised, it'll be just 20 minutes walk, or eight minutes by bike. What more could one ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment