Sunday 2 May 2010

An unexpected treasure found

We joined the St John's neighbouring congregation of St Mary's Bute Street for their Sung Mass this morning. Fr Graham was on good form, encouraging people to vote in the elections, Thursday coming. It was nice and relaxed, and good to be on the reeiving end once more of the ministry of an old friend. After that it was back to unpacking. With the kitchen and bedrooms and a sitting room sorted, both of us started work on organising our work places. In my case it's a matter of continuing to sort and shred old documents, to ensure there's enough space for everything else.

In the process of sorting, there was a marvellous surprise. I found a plastic folder with a dozen or so typescript pages of eccentric stories written for the children thirty years ago, around two adventurous characters called Reggie the Rabbit and Neddie the Horse. The stories, delivered mainly ad lib, are recollected with fondness by my daughters now they have daughters to tell bedtime stories to, and several times they've asked if I had any of them written down. Well, I don't recall ever having done so, but a few weeks ago I discovered a few handwritten pages of story fragments, and now three complete stories to digitise and send them. It's a real unexpected pleasure to be reminded of that particular period of creativity in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment