Sunday 18 July 2010

A blest Sunday

Today the sky was blue from end to end, Mont Blanc was visible for the first time since our arrival and we were blessed with a cool breeze. Just the perfect climate for the Lord's Day.

For the first time since we left Geneva, we attended worship together at Holy Trinity Anglican Church this morning. Matins too! We received such a warm welcome from so many people we remembered and who still remembered us, it was just like turning up again at St John's. The same was true in the afternoon, when we were taken over to Gingins for the Eucharist, at which I had been invited to preside and preach. I don't know how I managed to pack to come away without including any liturgical robes but I did. It's only the second time in three months that I've celebrated, and I guess habitual checks which used to be automatic when a liturgical engagement was in prospect, are already beginning to slip. But nobody minded I was in ordinary clothes with just a borrowed stole. 

There were forty present, a goodly number for mid summer, and it was the occasion for announcing the name of the candidate selected as the pastor for the chaplaincy. The existing chaplain's gave notice of resignation just before Easter and his resignation took effect only at the beginning of July, so evidently the diocese in Europe worked hard and fast to ensure there would be as short an interregnum as necessary. We were told of a short-list of four: two men and two women.  One of the women candidates was selected. Everybody was pleased and happy with the news. I couldn't help but feel for St John's people back home, receiving the recent news of failure to appoint my successor. And that with a year's notice of my departure to prepare. Is it any wonder that good faithful people feel not listened to and taken for granted?

No comments:

Post a Comment