Sunday 29 August 2010

Bank Holiday Sunday

I was at St German's again this morning to celebrate and preach at the Parish Mass. I can't recall when last I used a thurible and censed the altar and the Gifts during a Eucharist, probably 20 years ago. I was pleased to raise a good cloud of smoke and do it without hitting anything or making clanking noises with the chains - which I detest. As it's August Bank Holiday weekend half the regular congregation was away, so another Sunday experience of a small number of people rattling around in a large building. The pulpit, also the altar seemed to me to be high above the people - the altar is on a pedestal of seven steps in fact. Hard to be relaxed and informal here. I found the height and remoteness of the altar from the worshippers quite difficult to adjust to, and, to mix metaphors, I felt a bit out of my depth. The team of altar servers, assistant clergy and congregation were kind and supportive, nevertheless.

Just before we started Julie, formerly of Tredegarville School PTA, turned up at the sacristy with her son Bryan a former pupil, now in secondary school, to say hello and ask if she could make an arrangement for me to christen her new grandson. I explained that although I'm retired, it would be possible to do so with permission. I proposed a date for her to check out with the rest of the family and the mother of the baby. Sadly she didn't stay for the service as she had to ferry Bryan to his Sunday Aikido lesson. A few days ago I met another ex Tredegarville parent and St James Church member outside Maplins and we chatted. His son, a few years older also chose Aikido over Sunday school and now plays at European level. Aikido classes full. Church classes empty. No competition. Such is the way of the world today.

There's no way of knowing if the athletic disciplines involved will suppress spiritual yearnings or nurture them. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment