Tuesday 14 September 2010

Holy Cross Day

When I'd finished a bereavement visit this afternoon in preparation for a funeral next Monday, there was a text on my mobile phone from Clare to tell me that Tai Chi' classes were re-starting in St Mary's Church Hall this evening. I didn't properly get re-started after a break for my hernia operation followed by an outbreak of kidney stone movement three years ago. It was eighteen months before I get rid of the stone and recovered full confidence in normal physical activity. By that time I'd become too busy and lost the habit of regular class attendance. Not a good thing. When I retire .. I said to myself.

The learning and discipline involved in Tai Chi' was something I found invaluable. Some of the awareness stayed with me and sustained me during my last demanding year in office. Well, now there's no excuse for not returning. I'm re-setting priorities and will start catching up with myself properly - body soul and spirit. My body's been pretty good to me over the years. Now it's time to return the favour.

The class of thirty was for beginners, and I was glad of that, as it makes it possible to receive familiar input afresh, and to take note of the difference made by the passage of three taxing years. Christie is an excellent teacher, always re-crafting her descriptions of what she asks us to do, using verbal imagery as well as showing us the way. I came home refreshed and determined to continue. And I paid for the term up-front. No slacking now!


No comments:

Post a Comment