Tuesday 19 October 2010

Chance meeting

I took part in an enjoyable Bible Study on St John's Gospel this morning in the home of one of the Gingins congregation members. It meant an early start and a 40 minute car journey to get there, but it was well worth the effort.

Later, I met Laura for lunch at the Centre Oecumenique back in Geneva. While we were getting our food I was hailed by a voice I didn't immediately recognise, but when I turned, there was the unmistakeable figure of Michael Romig, all six foot five of him. He was one of the teenagers I prepared for confirmation in Geneva over a decade ago. I was delighted to be remembered after all those years. Michael studied Arabic in University, and now works for a human rights NGO close by. He was lunching there with his girl friend, who worked for another international organisation in the neighbourhood. We exchanged emails, and will catch up on our lives electronically some time soon.

The Centre Oecumenique, though much diminished from its heyday, by the progressive cutting of budget funding and then staff by big donor churches, is still a good place to meet, and the food is reasonably priced. I guess there's hardly anyone left of the staff there now that I remember from my days in Geneva - either retired or returned to work in their native countries. Time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment