Friday 24 June 2011

Lament at Warwick Arts centre

Having missed the Tuesday Chi Gung class this week to go the induction service at St John's, I went to the Tai Chi class in Penarth's Albert Road Methodist Church yesterday evening instead. The huge church building is up for sale, and a church hall renovated and converted into an attractive multi purpose sanctuary and social centre. It's a pleasant place for our mediative learning activity, and the class was en enjoyable experience. 

I did the first section of Short Form Tai Chi, which the class is learning, from memory for the first time in months without making a fool of myself. The class did me a lot of good, and filled me with fresh energy, so much so that when I got home, I wrote up the morning's meeting minutes and still got to bed by half past twelve. I slept well and slept late, which was annoying since there were errands to be done before setting out for a weekend in Kenilworth, and we arrived there only just on time as a result. I was rather sad that this crowded morning meant I was unable to attend a St John's Day Eucharist anywhere. It leaves me feeling that my retirement lifestyle still falls short of being satisfactory.

Kath and Anto's band Lament were on stage for a gig in the studio at Warwick Arts centre, a few miles away, and with Rhiannon enjoying a sleep-over with friends, Clare and I got to watch them perform live for the first time since I retired. There was a good sized appreciative audience there, and the band performed superbly. It has developed a tremendous musical cohesion, hugely confident in its own compositions and arrangements - playing vibrant swinging latin-jazz with the tightness you'd associate with a top string quartet. I took video footage on my new camera as well as photos, and drained the fully charged batteries of this and my back up camera in the course of an hour an a half shooting. The next job will be to get the the best footage on to You Tube, for the world to see!

And indeed, here's the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment