Thursday 26 January 2012

If it ain't broke

Rachel and Jasmine returned on Monday, and it's been delightful to wake up this week to the sound of an imaginative child playing, or to be nudged by cold feet as she climbs in for a cuddle in between Grandma and Grandpa, to continue her game, until hunger awakens the need for breakfast. Richard came around, and in between showers, put the finishing touches to the front path, which now looks splendid, and gives me pleasure.


What annoys me beyond measure is that the simple process of posting the above picture, which used to take a minute, uploading from my Desktop, has just taken me half an hour. It displayed correctly on my computer, but when uploaded, it displayed sideways, as if I had not rotated it. I tried using Picasa to upload it to this blog page, but it would only post it to a separate page. I transferred my text to this page but although upright, the photo would not centre properly, even after tinkering with the HTML code. Finally, Google + let me to acces the correctly oriented picture from the Picasa album dropbox, and to cut and paste it correctly formatted to this page of text. Simple solution, now I know for next time, but no warning that it's all a bit different. 

Google is so keen to overwhelm with new features and user interface appearance. It's always nagging you to try new things. But if you decide you're happy with what you already know and work with efficiently, you still get nagged, and slowly things that used to work stop working as well as they did. It look me long enough to get my sister June to be confident enough to use the old interfaces properly, and now she feels frustrated and helpless, because she now has to interpret what she sees (or guess), rather than just use it. Maybe this is just another old folks grumble, but if there are millions more older users (with disposable income to part with), why annoy them? If it ain't broke don't try to fix it - just make sure it runs smoother and faster. That'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment