Friday 20 January 2012

Surprise gift

Richard has been laying the front path tiles this last few days, as the weather has permitted. It's finished apart from the grouting, but it's been too cold and damp to complete, so the tiles are shrouded in plastic for the next few years, until it's dry enough to be done in one pass. So, the house has gone quiet again.

Rachel and Jasmine left this morning for a weekend visit to Jasmine's other grandparents, and a couple of Aunties. After lunch I took a funeral service in Pidgeons' Chapel of Rest followed by a school rush hour crawl up to Thornhill Crematorium for the Committal. On the way back, I got chatting with my chauffeur, a man in his fifties, about Tai Chi/Chi Gung, something he took up a few years ago as a remedy for a bad back. He'd done some martial arts when he was younger, but now he is an enthusiast for the gentler art of movement. My Thursday class started again last night, as ever enjoyable, although my joined up memory for some sections of the short form is persistently poor. More practice needed I guess.

As I arrived home, Bishop David Wilbourne drew up on his bicycle and greeted me. He was out and about hand delivering to local clergy copies of a Lent Book - 'The heart's time' by Janet Morley, a gift from both Bishops, meant as a token of appreciation for our work. The book, an anthology of daily poetry readings and comments for the season is an interesting choice, and promises to be enjoyable. I was quite heartened by this unusual gesture of encouragement, and it was especially good to welcome the Bishop into our street, even if I couldn't show off our newly tiled path this time around.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment