Monday 21 May 2012

Google blues

I started the week with a home visit to my friend Father Graham Francis, as his 'tech consultant' to help establish a simple and straightforward means for him to upload a .pdf file of his weekly church bulletin to the website I set up for him about four years ago. We've both been so busy that it's taken a long time to get around to sorting this out person to person. I started the project using Google Pages. Since then the website I made has been relocated to Google Sites, fortunately without breaking the URL or appearance. One time when we needed to do a site update, we lost the password and it took ages to recover - that was before Graham had broadband. It's much easier to manage these things now. 

This time the new Google Sites interface had me puzzling for ages to find out how to make a simple functional way of attaching .pdf files to an archive page. I'd simply forgotten how the web layout editor worked - and really it's very simple to do once the penny drops. The site appearance has changed, and this fooled my memory. Google cosmetic changes create problems for older users like my sister June, and her contemporaries, a decade older than me. I wonder how many more people find this a difficult issue? We have quickly learned to hate Google+, and the appearance changes which the Google+ absorption of Picasaweb have led to. Does anybody at Googleplex listen to people over sixty?

After lunch, mission accomplished, I made my way to St Mikes to prepare for a Family Eucharist with a group of students experimenting with a traditional style of ancient liturgy adapted to the setting of the college chapel, with pews cleared to one side so that everyone was standing together or sitting on the ground in the cleared space. The preparation and parts of the service were filmed for a documentary programme being made on one of the students. I wonder how that will work out? I'll be interested to hear what reaction the service designers get from those who took part also.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment