Friday 7 November 2014

Francophone visitors

Michael collected me and took me to his garage mechanic yesterday morning, to arrange a replacement wing mirror. We left the car, and he dropped me off at 'El Portico' the church centre close to the port, where I spent the morning chatting with people. He returned later unexpectedly to lock up, as nobody the had the necessary key. So I got a lift home as well, instead of a walk. 

As I was awaiting Michael to return to the garage for the second time in the day, two ladies of a certain age rang the doorbell, and asked if if spoke French. Well many French holidaymakers come to Vinaros, and there are resident expats as well, so this wasn't all that unusual. They were Jehovah's Witnesses. To my surprise, I conversed with them fluently in French for about half an hour before Michael arrived. One thing about being chaplain in Geneva for eight years was that I acquired the necessary vocabulary for theological discourse! And, it was nice to chat while I was waiting. We returned to the garage at the to find that there were going to be difficulties sourcing a spare mirror, so we should return manana a la manana. 

Before supper, I walked a little way along the coast path as the sun was setting in a cloudy sky, making spectacular show. It's very quiet now. Most of the holiday homes are shut up until New Year/Three Kings, if not until spring. The only bars and restaurants open are those serving local clientele.

This morning, another trip to the garage, again fruitless. It will take until Monday if not longer to obtain a new part, as there's no local Ford dealer in town. It's legal to drive without a right side mirror here, so I was able to take myself to Alcocebre to visit 'El Camino' the church drop in centre cum charity shop, to chat with people and get a briefing from Moira on Sunday's Act of Remembrance before the Eucharist. I learned that plans are afoot to re-locate to larger premises nearer San Cristobel church, which the Anglican congregation uses. This will provide space for small meetings, and storage space to support the cafe and charity shop side of things. Being without an incumbent chaplain is no bar to initiative to grow the church, and that's highly commendable.

No comments:

Post a Comment