Friday 11 September 2015

Night at the opera

Back to the office this morning to complete the commissioning of the new PC, trimming its desktop of all those surplus crapware program tiles, and installing Libre Office. I'd forgotten my flash drive with the installation files on it, and set about downloading them again, happily a speedy affair on our BT office broadband. Much to my surprise, when installation had started I discovered that I was in possession of the newest Libre Office version 5. I hadn't noticed any mention of this in my daily tech blog reading. I then had to update the other machines in the office, and later at home. Even if the improvements are relatively minor, it's always worthwhile. It's got a lot quicker and slicker in the past year, whilst retaining, thankfully a more familiar user interface. Some commentators regard it was 'old fashioned' compared with MS Office. It's not as eye catching, but it's far easier to use, as it draws on one's existing experience by being familiar to use and giving fewer puzzles to solve as you get to grips with it. For old users, that' s a great plus. I don't care if it works on a tablet or a phone. It works and works best where it's most needed, on proper static office hardware.   
I got away from the office in time to return for a late lunch, and worked at home until it was time to go to the Millennium Centre for Bellin's opera 'I Puritani'. I felt sure we'd seen it before, and racked my brains to remember where and when. The music seemed remotely familiar, also the performance setting, but less so the plot. Eventually I recalled we'd seen it in Geneva's Grand Theatre about twenty years ago, and it was an occasion when I'd fallen asleep, probably exhausted after a day of skiing. I made an effort not to doze of this time. Slowly it dawned on me that my poor recollection may have something to do with my dislike of the story-line – Bellini or his librettist's antipathetic perception of English seventeenth century protestants. Great entertainment for a mainly catholic early nineteenth century audience, maybe, but hollow and inaccurate viewed down the wrong end of the telescope of time. 

As ever, the chorus was superb and the lead performers impressive. The first scene and last scenes were set in the Lodge of an Ulster Orange Loyalist order in modern times. Those in between were set in Puritan times. The production was making a point about the contemporary social and political legacy of puritanism, but it lacked consistency, especially given the flawed nature of Bellini's plot line. The idea was messy and confusing, even if neatly delivered by WNO. It's sheer coincidence that this should be on stage just as the Northern Ireland Assembly Government staggers into crisis with DUP withdrawals from office over the alleged secret survival of the presumed disbanded IRA. I just hope WNO have no plans to take this on tour to Belfast in the foreseeable future.
We got home to a message announcing the safe arrival in Cardiff from Spain of our American friends Saralee and Mark. Tomorrow we're off to explore the Llyn Peninsula together for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment