Monday 11 June 2018

Sound system challenge

I walked over to Sloper Road this lunchtime to visit a family whose 21 year old had taken his own life. It wasn't easy to engage with them, as they are still in a state of shock. I was asked if I would read a tribute which they would put together and send me. The music is going to be all digital pop tracks, so an organist isn't required, and the necessary MP3 files will be delivered beforehand.

Church sound systems are rarely up to date and able to do more than play CDs and handle wireless microphones, so I promised we'd find a way of playing music through the system from a digital device of their choice. Later in the day I checked the sound system at St Catherines, and found it had no spare jack or mini-jack plug sockets. The floor mounted spare cabled mic sockets are the old 3 pin DIN heavy duty standard. Father Mark said he'd be able to track down a cable adaptor which can be used to connect a phone to the system. I'll get that to test tomorrow.

I'm continuing to work my way through all thirteen episodes of 'Rough Justice', at two episodes a day, getting used to and enjoying listening to Flemish dialogue. It's akin to German and Dutch, with loan words from French and English. With subtitles this makes it more interesting to follow than the Scandinavian crimmies which I enjoy. There's roughly one murder an episode being solved with the thread of three story around the life of the main character, who's a senior female cop. It's not so complex and subtle as many series in this genre, but it provides insight into the life of Belgian society and its major port city.

No comments:

Post a Comment