Monday 27 August 2018

Unexpected diagnosis

After lunch, Clare left for Geneva Airport and her flight to Birmingham to collect Rhiannon for a few days stay with us. They return late Wednesday night, and Tuesday is Kath's 47th birthday, so she's pleased to be there to celebrate with her. Determined to do something about my painful affliction, I sought Joy's help to get an introduction to a local doctor. She arranged an afternoon appointment and took me by car to a surprising place, Montreux gare. 

We parked underneath the station and took the lift up to platform one, the original station platform along which the first railway administration offices and booking hall were built in the 1970s, with imposing municipal facades. In the 21st century the property has been re-purposed for commercial purposes and contains a gym and a medical centre, while down at ground level a mini-Migros supermarket and modern toilets are housed. The medical centre covers two storeys of medical facilities and consulting rooms. 

Here, I met a charming Swiss GP who heard my story. She introduced me to a colleague, a Mr Michael Cotton, an Englishman and a surgeon who'd served for 24 years in Zimbabwe and South Africa, then ten years at the CHUV, Lausanne's University Hospital. I learned that he's a member of our neighbouring Vevey English Church congregation and a Licensed Lay Reader. I couldn't have ended up in better hands!

He took a case history and gave me a thorough physical examination and identified the source of the problem, not with errant haemorrhoids, but a blocked gland in the anal sphincter, which developed an abscess. This hadn't been spotted back home in the pre colonoscopy examination, and maybe it only developed noticeably afterwards. Anyway it was now giving serious trouble. It would need to be operated upon immediately. He said he could do it there and then with local anaesethetic, but if not it would mean a few (costly) days in hospital in Lausanne. My confidence in him was already high, so I agreed to let him work on me.

Assisted by two nurses, who did all the preparatory work including the local anaesthesia, he tackled the job, effectively carving a drain hole in me to let the accumulated fluid escape. With the wound dressed, I walked out two and a half hours later, with the task of managing the effluent to occupy me for as long as it takes to take away the swelling. Thankfully Joy returned to take me back to the house and see me in safely. 

The operation was not without pain, despite anaesthetic, but once it was over I began to experience a sense of relief, as my body de-stressed from having to cope with pain and discomfort for so long. I felt I was on the mend. The pain now is different, and I'm having to clear up behind myself, and go about everyday business as usual on my own. It'll still be a while before I can sit down properly, only lying down is possible. I have to stand to use a computer. It's awkward using a table or a phone lying on one's side. Screen auto-rotate definitely has to be off. It's tiring but I shall be able to sleep more comfortably at last, thanking the Lord for providing the right man at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment