Monday 14 March 2022

Subversive protest

It was a bright sunny morning, and while Clare went for her swim, I went out and walked in the park for an hour. Then when she got back I did my share of the cleaning, made lunch and did the week's grocery shopping at the Co-op. At tea time, I took the bus into town and walked the rest of the way to St German's to lead Stations of the Cross, and celebrate Mass this evening. 

There were about twenty of us present, including three youngsters who came out of the blue asking if they could attend the service. I don't know why. I answered a few of the questions they asked, but Hilary took an interest in them and gave them books to follow. They were in the first year at Willows High School. I think their visit may have had something to do with their R.E. class. They were well behaved and stayed for both services. People from other Ministry Area churches joined St German's regulars, and expressed their appreciation for the shared experience. Geraldine was able to give me a lift back to Canton on her way home. 

I was surprised to find that I'd walked fifteen kilometres today instead of ten, and yet I didn't feel unduly tired. I don't understand why some days I lack energy and it's an effort to keep up my daily exercise, then other days I don't feel tired at all.  I'm very grateful for those days when I don't feel quite so old.

It's been more of the same in the violent onslaught on Ukraine today. Almost three million people are refugees now. There's more speculation in the media about what role Chinese President Zhi Jinping will play. China isn't currently answering questions about sending military aid to Russia allegedly requested by Putin. At the opening of the Winter Olympics, the two dictators were together rejoicing in their new measure of partnership. I wonder if Zhi is starting to regret that now?

Despite the suppression of any news about the conflict in Russia which differs from the official version, today has seen the most remarkable piece of subversion on a live TV news channel. A member of the news editor walked into the live studio news broadcast carrying an improvised 'Stop the War' placard and showing it to camera. She had just recorded and uploaded a brief video of herself explaining why she felt compelled to make this protest. For her it's professional suicide and will result in imprisonment, no doubt. Such courage! Slowly, the truth is seeping out, and Russian casualties keep mounting.

No comments:

Post a Comment