Thursday 12 September 2024

The voice of Middle England

Another cold but sunny day, waking up at half past seven, posting the Morning Prayer YouTube link to WhatsApp before 'Thought for the Day'. After breakfast I spent an hour shredding bank statements part of my  ongoing effort to clear my study of redundant books and documents.

Then I spent tme familiarising myself with aspects of my new Chromebook, branded as Chromebook Plus elements with which I'm unfamiliar, or which I've forgotten exist, or are realy new. I wanted to find out if I could have two window panels side by side on screen, one containing a document and the other running the sound editing web app 'Twisted Wave', something I tried in the past, but never had occasion to use in earnest.

Once I established how to do this I recorded another recent poem with my new mic. I was pleased with my success, but rather than learning to edit the audio file there and then, I transferred it to my Windows laptop to edit with Audacity, my default sound editor on Windows and Linux. Later I discovered that it possible to activate what's called a Linux container on the Chromebook and install Audacity for Linux for use. Clever stuff, more to learn when there's time, eventually. Transferring the audio file required saving it to Google Drive and then downloading it on the Windows machine with Chrome browser. There is a facility called 'Quick Share' which uses Wifi and Bluetooth to send files to nearby switched on devices, something else I need to learn when it's necessary or convenient.

While I was investigating this, Clare was in town buying fish at Ashton's in the Market, so I cooked lunch. Pork steak for me, veggie burger for Clare. Having had a disturbed night's sleep, I tried to sleep after we'd eaten, but without success. Clare dozed off and was sleeping when I went out for a two hour walk. On the last stretch, sitting on a park bench enjoying the sunshine despite the chill wind, I saw Clare come walking across the grass towards me. She then went to the Coop while I went  home and put the kettle on for tea. 

In the evening, I watched the last double episode of 'Sherwood', which broadly speaking was about the need for communities to take more responsibility and reconcile its legacy of division to face the problems caused by rival drug gangs with their own perverse version of the rule of law, and show good-will towards the police instead, by supporting them and stop seeing police as adversaries. The story line was complex not easy to follow, but involved a succession of revenge killings between two rival families. Quite apart from actors' poor diction, the Nottinghamshire accent isn't one familiar to me, making it difficult to follow the dialogue on times.  The accent seems to be a variant of the East Midlands, influenced by the county's proximity to South Yorkshire. Interesting.

Owain sent me a link to a Financial Times web page about scammers using fake versions of Insolvency Service paper documents and on-line content to defraud failing businesses. He told me his organisation's press office had fed the content of an article to financial journalists, but it was his team that researched and supplied information used. The research project itself had started before he was employed, but then stalled until he found it and pursued to to completion - a long slow process with its own in-built obstacles. He's hoping radio and TV will use the story, especially in the light of the growing number of companies falling into financial troubles in this decade of economic woe. Seeing this through has given him job satisfaction, although he's still poorly paid in an organisation which undervalues its personnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment