Friday, 31 July 2026

Still at risk

Warm and cloudy today, getting up feeling that I'd not slept as much as I needed to on six and a half hours sleep. Whenever that happens, I feel worse after taking the morning meds. I had a text message from the GP surgery telling me to make contact about my blood test results. It was too late for a 'book on the day' appointment. I was offered one in two weeks time. I protested to the receptionist that I was feeling unwell now and asked if a telephone appointment to discuss the blood test results would be possible, and this was granted. 

Dr Jordan called just after midday, and reported on my blood test. Liver and Kidney function OK, haemoglobin count a little low, due to blood loss. Another blood test next week to check the haemoglobin has returned to normal. I told her about the impact of the beta blockers, and how I stopped taking them once the nose wound began to heal, also about the distressing impact of the clot dispersal meds whenever my sleep quality is poor. I asked what could be done to reduce dosage or prescribe something else that wouldn't hit me so hard. No answer yet. She wants me to have another attempt at wearing a blood pressure monitor 24/7. I told her I had no confidence in the process and recounted what happened last time I was due to be monitored, when the combined effect of the medications made me so unwell I had to cancel the appointment, and write to UHW cardiology as the unit's contact numbers weren't being answered. 

Well, at least I know my kidney and liver functions are what's expected. I like to think that's due to having acupuncture while I was still in shock and deeply fatigued. 

Rachel spent the morning re-varnishing the garden shed, bless her. After lunch, Clare and Rachel went off to hunt for plumbing adaptors. I dozed in my armchair, and while I did my head cleared of the worst of the wooziness, encouraging me to go out and get some fresh air. I went up and down Llandaff Fields for three quarters of an hour, in a mild cooling breeze. Very pleasant.

When Clare and Rachel returned from shopping we had an early supper before going to Chapter Arts Centre to a surprise birthday celebration for Fran organised by Marc to cheer her up, since she broke her wrist recently and is burdened with a heavy plaster. After greeting her with a big hug I returned home, as I didn't feel well enough to cope with the noise and stimulus of a social gathering. All three of us left home without our mobile phones, so Rachel returned with me to collect hers, but left without Clare's which was still on charge.

I got ready for bed early and after cleaning my teeth my nose shed a few drops of blood. I've been aware since this afternoon of high blood pressure signs, and wondered about taking a beta blocker despite the unpleasant side effects This frightful incident showed I had no option but to take one. I don't understand why my stress level is this high, apart from the fact that the clot dispersal meds make me feel ill and this worries me. 

Trump's Board of Peace negotiators claim they have persuaded Hamas to disarm with the aim of Israeli forces  withdrawing from occupied Gaza. Will it happen? We'll see in the coming weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment