Wednesday 3 April 2013

Think citrous

Last night we had a family meal at Stefano's restaurant, one of our favourite haunts, in Romilly Crescent around the corner. After a day of much play and not enough food Rhiannon seemed to be under the weather. The transformation effected by her usual plate of spaghetti with butter was amazing!

What a relief to get up this morning to normal internet connectivity once again. I was reminded of how we felt after occasional power blackouts when I was a child. After a brief visit to College to collect information for report writing, I drove Rhiannon and Kath to Cardiff Central station for their train home, and after lunch, a brief spell of catch-up in the CBS office.  As I left, I was given a box of Israeli Clementines from Jaffa. I don't know why they came my way, but the same happened last year a few months earlier, and we turned them into fabulous jam to share. 

Over the course of the year, however, my eating habits have changed significantly. Time spent in Spain, and then Sicily have made me into a citrous fruit eater in a way that has never been the case in my entire life. When I was young, post-war, oranges and bananas were a rarity in the Valleys, fruit eating wasn't a habit easily acquired. 

After many months of mediterranean diet and successful spare weight loss, I now think nothing of eating half a dozen pieces of citrous fruit a day. This past year, I've had far fewer colds and escaped the common round of nasty viruses. I'm willing to attribute this to improved resistance as much as added vitamin C, but who knows? Needless to say the Clementines this year will not get turned into jam. The gift box represents half a week's provision, given what I've been buying from the market on my way to and from the office this year.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment