Thursday 28 November 2013

Winter cometh

This last couple of days it's been quite cloudy and a few degrees cooler, with gusts of wind chilling down the apartment. Yesterday, I celebrated the Eucharist at St Andrew's and chatted with people at the weekly coffee morning and sale until it was time to return for lunch. I walked down to the shops and back for some exercise, and that gave me an opportunity to photograph a couple of old 18-19th century well housings, situated either side of the road I take to get to the new road up to Alhaurin and Coin. They are located alongside an arroyo below a hill with olive trees, and have long been replaced for practical purposes by several others that are more modern, further up the bank of the arroyo
This is an open green agricultural space in an area with an urbanizacion uphill and shops downhill. It's fascinating, the inter-penetration of urban with agricultural spaces that are still being worked.

Today, there was no blue sky at all, though the cloud was very high, and it was wind with occasional rain showers for the first time since I've been here. Someone told me it's been the driest November for a long time. Winter is when the rains are expected to come, and if not, those wells tend to dry up. Since I've been here, I've heard people express worries about the plethora of golf courses in the region draining the aquifers and depriving farmers of much needed supplies for food crops.

This morning I drove up to Coin and celebrated the Eucharist for five of us in quite a chilly church. We went to the bar-restuarant a few hundred metres up the road for a coffee and chat before going our ways. Later, back on the coast, I noticed the sea was being whipped up by the wind, producing the biggest waves to hit the shore since I've been here. Not a congenial day for an afternoon paseo without a top coat. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment