Thursday 21 May 2015

Walking the beaches

During my morning walk into town today, I went down first to Burriana beach for a look around. One thing I noticed was police incident tape wound around the children's beach climbing frame.
Not so much a crime scene, as a precaution made necessary by the tilting of the structure due to subsidence. There's evidently more of a challenge to getting stable foundations on the shifting sands of  a beach than the engineers imagined. 

From there I walked to the neighbouring Playa Caribayo and up the flight of steps to the street, that runs along parallel to the cliff top. It has an assortment of houses, small hotels and restaurants, but few houses that recall a time when there would have been cottages here. There is one however, and its facade has been decorated with rather sophisticated and intriguing graffiti. I'd love to find out more about this.
The street leads to the Balcon, and from there I went down to Playa Calahonda, curious to see if any work had been done to restore the footpath at the bottom of the cliff connecting the small coves along the shore line. I recall that last time I walked down here, the far end of the path was closed off, where a small section of cliff had collapsed. Now the entire footpath is closed, doubtless for Health and Safety compliance reasons that would never have been thought of when the path was first laid out so close to the rock face some twenty off years ago. So now, if you want to explore those little coves you have to walk along the shore line, dodging the incoming waves, and scrambling over rocks. This latter, I must say, I enjoyed, as if I was a kid again. I was pleased to get this photo of an unusual piece of water eroded shore rock.

On the return walk, I stopped at a pescadaria and bought three baby merluza for lunch, which I steamed on top of the rice I was cooking. A delicious treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment