Sunday 24 November 2019

A free Sunday

With no liturgical duties to perform today, I walked to the Cathedral for the 11.00am Sung Eucharist, a pleasure to be on the receiving end in the congregation. It had a distinctly early 20th century appeal to it, with an organ Mass and 'Tantum Ergo' anthem by Louis Vierne, the renowned blind organist of Notre Dame de Paris from 1900-1937. Area Dean of Cardiff, Stewart Lisk was Canon in residence and he preached well on the theme of Christ the King, engagingly name dropping the fact that he'd been in college with the new Emperor of Japan into the sermon, while talking about royal vesture and role and the person inhabiting them. A sermon he alone could preach, I thought!

He greeted me outside afterwards, saying "If I'd known you were free, I could have found you work to do in my parish today!" I protested that it was one of my few free Sundays apart from holidays and that I'm starting to need them to let my soul catch up.

Apart from a good long walk as it was getting dark, I spent the day finishing transcribing my Bosnia Journal. Some of the notes I made needed unpacking for intelligibility. It's now over seven thousand words, much to my surprise, and needed quite a bit of work to make the narrative style consistent. It needs a preface to explain how it all happened, as will my other occasional travel journals when I come to transcribe them - there's Jamaica, Mongolia, Syria, Jordan and Jerusalem/Palestine to come.

I feel I want to bother, so that the photos I took can have some real context. Also as legacy documents for my offspring's children and their children, who might one day decide to see what the world was like in day. I think that's how many wartime diaries began, only to be lost for many decades in dusty attics before being rediscovered. It's a bit different nowadays.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment