Monday 6 May 2024

Berejenas is off, luv

A sunny day with clouds and occasional gusts of wind from the west. After breakfast we drove to Torrox Pueblo to look around the old town. We parked up at the top end of town, and found ourselves not where we thought we would find easy access. Clare found walking through back streets rather nerve wracking, not know where we'd end up so we turned around and walked back to the car park. On the way back, I realised that the last time I was here I used the car park at the bottom end of town, rear the police station, with a quick steep uphill walk to the Casco Antiguo. But we did get to visit the Ermita de la Madonna de last Nieves on the journey. standing on a promontory that overlooked the lower reaches of the rio Torrox valley and the A7 motorway. 

Then we made our way down to the A7 and drove two junctions to Maro, to have lunch at the village cafe/restaurant. Open unlike others on a Monday, a seven day a week family run business, with a jefa supervising a dozen tables both sides of the street, issuing complex orders in a loud theatrical voice to the cocinero. An entertaining performance! Another splendid lunch, as when Kath was with me, except that berenjenas con cana de miel was off the menu, as their skins late in the season are too leathery to pass through the chipper before frying. Kath and I got lucky as the chef here has his own way of presenting this traditional Andalusian dish.

We did a grocery stock up at the Mercadona on the east side of Nerja on the way back, so the cupboard is full when I return from Wales. Before going out for a walk, while Clare was snoozing, I read the last twenty pages of Vargas Llosa'a Travesuras de una niña Mala. I discovered that the book has been made into a ten episode series for Mexican TV. I wonder if 'Walter Presents' will pick it up eventually? The story ends with a reconciliation of sorts between protagonist and antagonist, before the death from cancer of la niña Mala. Such a messy plot with so many twists and turns, and yet a neat ending, slightly suspect, to my mind, but an enjoyable read nevertheless. Now where did I put those other two Spanish books I picked up from the church shop?

Then we walked with the rubbish down to the bins, I inspected the post box and then walked the senda litoral for half an hour before climbing back up the hill. After supper, I wrote a reflection for two Thursdays hence, then recorded it, plus the Office of the day, and printed off my double boarding pass. Jobs done, time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment