Saturday 12 June 2010

Thanks Drive

Since I've retired and moved closer to several bus routes into town, I use public transport more than when I was within easy walking or cycling distance. There are several things I like about using the bus in Cardiff. The mood and social atmosphere varies greatly with the time of day and composition of passengers. Often groups of passengers through the age range seem to know each other and chat as they travel. Occasionally the bus seems very quiet, the passengers solitary, withdrawn. Then there can be electric moments when harsh words are exchanged and conflict threatens to break out, but the mood changes when the aggressor or the victim gets off.

Most frequently heard above the chatter, when the bus is disgorging passengers or taking them on board, are the words 'Thanks Drive', addressed quite audibly to the bus driver. This expression of appreciation is widespread and classless, used by grannies, hooded youth, schoolgirls in uniform, 'suits' going to work, beefy guys in trainers on their way to the gym. The drivers are of mixed age and gender, a few too many are overweight and between them they exhibit a wide variety of driving styles from the stately ponderous to the nerve wracking. Some greet their passengers in a friendly way, others are sullen, withdrawn and look bored with life. All are saluted with 'Thanks Drive' regardless of their demeanour.

I manage a 'Thanks' or a 'Thankyou' when I get off, but not yet a 'Thanks Drive'. It doesn't roll off my tongue easily, perhaps because I'm not a true Cardiffian. I wondered if non-Brits easily adopted this local saltuation, and set out to observe - group chatter on the bus is often in Italian, Spanish, French, Arabic or an Indian language. I noticed that something is often said to the driver, but rather quietly or with added gestures. Perhaps once you've fully settled down, adoption of native custom comes more naturally.

Bus riding became a feature of my daily life which I lived in Geneva, where all social existence was punctuated with bonjours and mercis.  Perhaps at some level, I've yet to catch up and fully settle down.

No comments:

Post a Comment