Sunday 16 October 2011

Going the long way around

Back at St German's for Mass this morning. The town centre was taken up with a half marathon race, and in order to avoid extra traffic queues on my usual route, I drove to Adamsdown via Gabalfa and City Road. The road got more and more congested as a neared my destination, although this was more likely to be shopping traffiic heading for the centre at quarter to eleven. I arrived with five minutes to spare. Someone else arriving at church as I did chanced going through the city centre on the route I'd avoided and found no hindrances at all. Race route closures in the centre were already over by the time I'd set out, but I didn't realise it. Remember this for next time!

The Mass was followed yet again by a Baptism, and late return home to prepare and eat lunch. Then, back to church for Evensong and Benediction before collecting Clare from her train. She stopped over another night at Kenilworth to look after Rhiannon, while Kath and Anto drove with the band almost up to Crewe for a gig with their band Lament. I admire their energy. The car journey to Kenilworth is probably the longest I take these days. Driving up and back on successive days leaves me quite tired, especially when it's combined with a Sunday taking services and preaching. Is it simply a matter of ageing? Or is it because I've got out of the habit of long distance driving? A bit like you get out of the habit of long distance walking if you don't do it regularly.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment