Thursday 3 November 2011

Ends and beginnings

I rose early to go to St Mike's to preside at a service of Morning Prayer, followed by the Liturgy of the Eucharist. It's not a bad idea to vary the form of the Liturgy of the Word and Prayers in this way but it seems strange to me to have no Gospel reading, however short, among the scriptures read, as happened on this occasion. During the prayers, the name of Alan Schwarz was mentioned among the departed. Afterwards I learned of the death yesterday of one of Wales' leading Jewish partners in Interfaith dialogue, and President of the Cardiff Orthodox synagogue. He'd been buried as well, the same day. I wonder who'll replace him in giving such a positive lead in mutual openness? He will be greatly missed by many people.

Heavy hearted, after breakfast, we drove to the vet's surgery for the last time with Ben this morning. We stayed while a sedative was injected and watched him strive to stay conscious a just little longer before going under, while we continued to stroke him. A lethal injection was then administered, and his vital forces slowly ebbed away, leaving us both tearful and sad. The right thing for a helpless animal. But would it be ever right for a helpless human being, consenting to someone else making an end of their lives? Some seem to think so. The practice of foreshortening someone's mortal suffering has a long history, and is even found in Old Testament scripture. I confess that discussion and debate about regularising voluntary euthanasia leaves me feeling very uncomfortable and unresolved, as does the presumption that organs can be 'harvested' (such a sinister use of the word), unless someone decides to opt out.

After our sad surgery visit, I took Clare to the new Steiner School, just opening this week in the former Saint Anne's infant school buildings in Roath. Teachers and parent have done a wonderful job renovating the place and giving it that distinctive ambience that makes a Steiner School classroom such a gentle environment, where imagination and creativity are nurtured rather than over-stimulated. Looking around the place was a cheering treat, and brought back happy memories of Rachel and Owain's schooling years.

At lunchtime, I went to the doctor's surgery for my 'flu jab, then into the office for a few hours before a double class of Chi Gung and Tai Chi. I really noticed the impact of the injection on my arm when I started exercising. I was working against both tiredness and grief. One way and another, that was a hard day.

No comments:

Post a Comment