Wednesday 3 October 2012

Cheating the rain in Gower

With every weather forecast promising rain during the day, I thought I was losing my argument that it would be still worthwhile driving to the Gower because the rain would only be short-lived. In the end, we set out with boots and rain gear on board, and headed out west on the A48, to have a peek at the Vale of Glamorgan on our way to join the M4 at Kenfig. We stopped briefly en route to look at St Hilary's twelfth century Parish Church, and admire the views over to North Devon from the edge of the village. Knowing well the congregation there, I was certain the church would be open for us to look around, and my faith was justified.

The roads right through to the Gower were not busy, and no rain came until we got to Arthur's Seat/stone, on Cefn Mawr, the backbone of the peninsula. We had a five minute shower, and that was it for the day. Sun, wind, clouds, and it wasn't too cold to walk on Oxwich Bay beach for a couple of hours after a good lunch in the Oxwich Bay Hotel. So good to be able to share our favourite local places with good friends. All that fresh air made us very sleepy, and I had to fight against dozing off at the wheel all the way home. Although it was gone six when we arrived, everyone went and had a snooze except me. A cup of tea in front of the telly was enough to keep me going until late supper time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment