Sunday 7 October 2012

Nearly lost in Cardiff

For a change, we went out for a Saturday morning breakfast at the Cameo Club, then went over to Roath to look for a birthday present for Clare in a small shop selling things produced by local craft artists. We found an acceptable necklace, which may well require choosing a new blouse to go with it in due course.

For the second time this week we went to the Millennium Centre - this time for Mozart's 'Cosi fan tutte', imaginatively and humorously re-located to a Welsh seaside town. Aberystwyth or Llandudno? It's the second time I've seen this production. The last time was when Rachel was home from Canada and I took her with me instead of Clare, who stayed home and looked after Jasmine.

This morning I was out early, celebrating the eight o'clock at St David's Ely, then going on to St Timothy's Caerau for their nine fifteen. I nearly came unstuck, as I couldn't remember how to get to St Tim's from St David's. Yesterday, I made a mental note to myself to check the address, but after the opera I forget to look. I had a map and rang Clare in a panic, but she couldn't find it, as the organisation of the diocesan directory which she was able to find in my office doesn't make it as straightforward as is desirable. 

At five past nine the streets were still empty and shops were shut. I spotted a couple of men chatting outside a chip shop, and discovered from them that I was nearer to the church than I'd imagined. It's tucked in a side street not far from the landmark Caerau pub, but it's not very visible from afar, unlike most churches around the city. I wasn't late, only nearly late. Kicking myself inwardly for not being properly prepared. I'll know better next time I come, the second Sunday in November.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment