Tuesday 27 August 2013

Tuesday's Nerja Mercadillio

We got up at six, and I drove Clare to Malaga Airport in the dark for her flight home. The sun rose among the subruban tower blocks of Malaga only as I was making my way back to Nerja at eight. The sun is now setting just before nine in the evening. Autumn is on its way.

Apart from catching up on a short night's sleep, doing a load of washing, and taking out the rubbish, my only outing today was to the mercadillo nearby to wander around and take some photos. When we left for the airport at five to seven, the gates had only just been opened and two vans had arrived. By the time I returned at quarter to nine, the stalls were all set up, shaded by their rag-tag assortment of awnings, and welcoming their first customers of the the day. It's still mainly shoes and clothes that are sold, with a few fruit 'n veg stalls. I was especially taken by the couple with a wheelbarrow of mangoes for sale.
  And the lady selling grapefruit and bags of grapes. And the feisty group of African women, who were offering to braid and bead peoples' hair in as many different styles as they had photos.
Each time, there's something, and someone different to be seen in addition to the predictable regular and seasonal stall holders. By the time I went out to the local re-cycling point at four in the afternoon, the entire market site was empty, the vans had gone and the place was swept clean and tidy. Time for me to get ready to travel, and set my mind on duties awaiting me when I return home tomorrow.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment