Monday 18 August 2014

Slide-fest

I came home from visiting my sister, with a collection of boxes containing five hundred photographic slides taken during various holidays in the late seventies and early eighties. She was an early adopter when it comes to taking package holidays abroad, and also a keen photographer with an eye for a well composed shot. Ages ago I'd promised to digitize them for her, so she could view them on her computer. Finally she extracted them from storage in the top of a wardrobe, and bundled them up for me to carry. They include photos of trips to the Côte d'Azur, Sicily, Amalfi, Crete and Corfu. Most of the places I hadn't visited and was curious to see what she'd made of them. Also interesting was the portrayal of a world that has changed so much much due to the impact of tourism over the past forty years since.

Apart from Sunday morning, when I went to the Cathedral Sung Eucharist, having no ministerial duties to perform, I spent Friday evening, most of Saturday and parts of Sunday scanning and uploading photos to her Picasa website. I greatly enjoyed seeing the results of my labours. June was delighted to have so many memories revived from half a lifetime ago. A nice eightieth birthday present in advance?

I had my blood test at The Spire BUPA clinic in Pentwyn this afternoon. No fuss, and it didn't involve a lengthy wait. I would rather have paid that money to my local G.P. surgery to achieve the same end, using the same laboratory. If health costs are spiralling out of control, to what extent is this really an outcome of bloated inefficient management structures and battles between people defending their own little piece of turf?

No comments:

Post a Comment