Sunday 7 September 2014

Last beach weekend

Saturday afternoon, we went to the beach so Clare could say she's been swimming in the sea once this year. She's been swimming in the pool belonging to the urbanizacion every day since we came, and it's really helped her regain her fitness, and a super sun-tan. I've joined her in swimming several occasions but was punished for diving in by wax blocking my eardrums leaving me with half my usual hearing.

There were three aircraft flying up and down off-shore this afternoon. Two were light aircraft towing advertising banners, only readable correctly from the beach on one pass, the other was a Guardia Civil seaplane, doing 'circuits and bumps' on the waves, collecting and then dumping sea water to refine the piloting technique so vital for fighting forest fires inland.


I was delighted with photos I took, although it was not without its awkward moments. Almost for the first time since I've been on one of the local, very family friendly beaches here, several women paraded unselfconsciously along the water's edge bare-breasted as the seaplane performed its manouvers. How to get the aircraft pictures with my Sony HX50 telephoto lens, without any of the women believing I was intent on sneakily photographing their proud assets? Keep on looking over their shoulders and keep the camera down until the last moment, I decided, and got away without scowls or unintended naughty snaps.   

This morning, I woke up early and drove to Benalmadena to celebrate the Eucharist there. I was unable to find a parking space close to the church, as it seems that there are still plenty of end of season car driving holidaymakers occupying spaces, although that should change soon. I found a space a quarter of a mile uphill, and was still on time for the opening up of the church. There were two dozen present.

Since my last visit to Benalmadena, the Revised Common Lectionary book, whose weak spine broke through much use over the decade, has been re-bound by a contact of Val's whose speciality is binding legal documentation, so it's now more robust that anything the CofE publishers are likely to produce any time soon!

Anticipating further problems parking in the church assigned parking space, I took the first vacant one I saw on the road approaching. No point in taking chances, and as the traffic on the return journey had been light, I was there ready to start in good time. The congregation was half the size it normally is in periods popular with British visitors. The autumnal 'swallows' have yet to return.

I cooked a paella for lunch with the last batch of frozen prawns from Clare's acquisition of favourite foods. The beach was noticeably quieter when we made another visit after siesta. Sun shadows cast by the tower blocks were emptying rapidly, small crowds lingering until the last moment in the patches of sun streaming in between the buildings, before packing for home.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment