Friday 12 December 2014

Calig visit and Christmas arriving

El Portico was again closed yesterday morning following Tuesday's pipe burst. This gave me time to write a sermon for Sunday, and potter around the house. Mid afternoon I drove out to the hill village of Calig to the west of Benicarlo, a place I've only gone past before, but never visited. Calig has a substantial fourteenth century Valencian Gothic parish church similar to others in towns and villages in this region, a tribute to the investment that followed the re-taking in 1238 of the Valencian taifa (region) that had been ruled by the Moors since 1010.

As well as the church with its own bell tower, the village boasts a second larger fortified tower right at the top the hill from the 13th century. I believe this was originally a watchtower outpost for the Castle of Cervera which sits on high ridge ten kilometres further into the mountains. It's now home to the town clock and has a gable with two bells in it. Next time I come this way, a visit to Cervera will be on the cards. I passed by the town on a lower road, just as the sun was setting. You'll find Calig photos here.

Today I had two bereavement visits to make, one nearby in Vinaros, another outside El Perello. From the latter I went on to officiate at the Service of Lessons and Carols in L'Ampolla. There were over fifty people present. At the end of the service, 'Decibels' a local choir with an international membership, led by a guitar playing English retired headmaster, sang cheery folksy songs and carols to the congregation in English and Catalan before mulled wine and mince pies were consumed.

I think it's four years since I last officiated at a service of Lessons and Carols. The last I attended was the German Lutheran congregation's service in Taormina two years ago. It's very enjoyable to share in an expatriate celebration again. There's an enthusiasm about the singing, the sense of fellowship and the hospitality which owes far less to nostalgia than it owes to the desire to affirm the best about our identity and culture. All part of making yourself at home wherever you are.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment