Saturday 20 December 2014

Cervera del Maestre discovered

A day of packing for departure, house cleaning and washing, except that it was impossible to get things dry as the weather wasn't favourable. In the afternoon, I took myself out for that visit to the village of Cervera del Maestre, which I promised myself to return to after visiting nearby Calig last week.

The Moors built a castle on a high ridge overlooking the maritime plain above Vinaros and Benicarlo in the eleventh century, and the village developed around it on the flanks below. It's spectacular to look at and to look out from the heights, in every direction. The village has prospered from almond, carob and olive groves in the vicinity. The walls and interior of the long-derelict castle are now being made safe and visitor friendly, a superb asset worth developing for the panoramic vistas alone.

During this visit I was surprised to realise I'd actually stopped on the road outside the town on the way back from a trip inland to St Matieu two and a half years ago. I'd taken a few photos late in the day, but there wasn't time to explore the village properly so I failed to realise what more there was to see. This visit was, therefore, particularly rewarding.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment