Thursday 5 March 2015

Credential check time and Borsetshire flood crisis

A lovely sunny day today, slightly warmer, yet not a good one for me. I received an email from the Diocese in Europe child protection officer about renewing my safeguarding credentials with the CRB now re-branded as the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service), as a precondition of retaining my Permission to Officiate in Europe. This runs out in six months time, when it'll be five years already since it was first issued and there's a small question to be resolved as to how eight months in Spain non-continuous residence in two different government regions should be properly accounted for in. It's not my problem it's a matter of getting the right advice from the bureaucracy and acting on it.

Well, I have six months to get it sorted out. On checking my personal documents I realised my Llandaff diocesan DBS also needs renewal, so I sent an email reminder to Glenda at the R.B. Cathedral Road office to set that process running too. Like a passport and a driving license, it's a necessity for anyone with a mobile ministry, and a matter of pride to keep it up do date.

As I was reading through the application papers and trying to fill them in, I was visited twice by a migraine aura which stopped me working temporarily. Fortunately it isn't followed by an awful headache. It was a nuisance, but also a bit worrying, as I've never had two in a day before, and it's unclear what triggers it. The conditions for generating an aura seem consistent. It only happens when there's bright direct morning light and the sun is low in the sky, and I'm wearing reading specs. Once it happened during a flight over the Alps. Is there something about the pattern of light being received which is causing the visual disturbance? Possibly light that's polarised in a way the eye isn't used to coping with? If it happens again soon, a visit to the opticians will be my next appointment. It left me feeling somewhat disconcerted and grumpy.

Father Mark dropped by after lunch and countersigned my identity documents, so that I could get them off in the evening mail. Then I went into the office and worked for several hours, until I'd had enough. On my way home I went into John Lewis', and received a phone call from Martin. We chatted for about twenty minutes, and then I went on the bargain trail, unsuccessfully, as usual. Then I realised it was dark outside. I had a longer than usual wait for a bus and a longer than usual ride home, as the traffic congestion was terrible, probably due to a traffic stopping bus fire on Western Avenue, I'd heard report of earlier in the office.

I was home an hour late for supper, and had to listen to a double episode of the Archers on Catch up, having missed two nights running. This week has been very interesting and dramatic, all about flooding in Borsetshire. The Archers BBC website has innovatively displayed fictional information about the breaking news of this weather crisis, cleverly crafted to fit together with the storyline since Monday. Nicely done. iPlayer keeps improving and the waiting time between broadcast and re-run is now down to about half an hour. Very creditable indeed. The BBC's on-demand services are worth the license fee in their own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment