Saturday 28 October 2017

Birding update

The usual Saturday routine today, finishing and printing my Sunday sermon, a walk to Mercadona for a few items of grocery, a walk up to the bridge over the charco to see if there any new birds are to be seen. There were three egrets visible again. I think this is a nuclear family which has settled here rather than wherever else these birds make a home in this region.

On the bridge tonight were a couple about my age toting big long lens DSLR cameras, espying the waters. Eventually we got around to chatting. They were birders visiting from the USA, following any local avian intel they could find on the internet. They told me about the salinas near Villaricos, the other side of Garrucha, which was the current major overnight roosting place for flocks of egrets I'd seen here this time last year. It's the site where others have told me flamingos can be seen. That tripmsounds like it;s worth the effort to make. It's only ten kilometres away. Maybe tomorrow, but not tonight. The clocks go back, and I'm determined to take advantage of this and get a really long night's rest.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment