Sunday 15 October 2017

Orientation

Yesterday was uneventful, just getting ready for Sunday and walking out, late in the afternoon, along the coast road in search of a pharmacy open for business. All three I identified were closed, as one may imagine on this Spanish bank holiday weekend, but none displayed information about any local 24 hour pharmacy which might be open. Ah well, nothing open. But, there must be a way of finding out where there is one.

This morning I drove to Llanos del Peral to celebrate the Eucharist. I had no trouble finding my way there, but was surprised I didn't recall the 5km journey from the main road up to the village in much detail until I drove it. I've noticed that I rely on visual memory and knowing where the sun is to take me places I've been before. I recall specific landscape features and navigate point to point between them. I was clear instructions to reach a coffee morning venue, except they didn't specify the starting point or general direction. Fine for locals who know where's where, but disconcerting for a stranger like me. No such thing as a stupid question however.

We were forty worshippers, in a chapel that holds fifty, with a positive receptive atmosphere in which to preach. Outside the chapel is a patio where umbrellas, chairs and tables are arranged for after-service fellowship. At this time of year the midday temperature is a pleasant 25C, so it's a pleasure to sit around and chat for a while before heading back to Mojácar.

Early evening, I walked along  the Camino del Palmeral, the back road leading to Mojácar Pueblo. I didn't have time to walk  all the way up there before dark, so turned back at the filling station towards Mojácar Playa, making a 6km circuit before the sun set. The last couple of kilometres I walked along the deserted beach for a change, enjoying the sound of waves crashing on the shore and gravel crunching under my feet as the sun set. A good conclusion to my second Sunday here, rounded off with an early bed-time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment