Friday 19 January 2018

Another welcome guest

Last night, Clare told me a renewal notice hard arrived in the mail from the DVLA regarding my driving license. After 70 you have to renew every three years and formally register any new health issues. It's three years already since I received my photo-card license replacement. How time flies! 

So, this morning, I went on-line to the DVLA website and went through the renewal form. I am now obliged to declare my use of specs for driving. Even though I can still read a number plate correctly at the prescribed twenty metres, most of the time, I suffer from eye strain driving without them at night, and notice sometimes that my eyes are sometimes slower to focus sharply as well, so better safe than sorry, in matters of driving confidence. 

Keeping a set of specs to use in the car, as opposed to always remembering to carry them is the next thing I have to organise, when I get home. Meanwhile, with help from Owain, I need to give the DVLA feedback about the default typeface size of its registration form, which is rather small for older eyes, in contrast to mainstream .go.uk web interfaces. The hunt for the right channel is under way. Getting in touch with DVLA digitally or otherwise is a rather elusive business, it seems.

Archdeacon Adele is meeting with the St John's Church Council this evening to explain and plan the recruitment process for a another Chaplain. The idea of sharing a priest with Lausanne Chaplaincy has been abandoned and understandably so. Apart from logistic issues entailed, there are bound to be recruitment difficulties, as Lausanne already works in pastoral partnership with the Old Catholic disaspora in the region, so the successful priest needs to be a fluent or bilingual French speaker. Finding a priest to match, and meet Montreux's needs as well isn't practicable.

Adele arrives early enough for us a have a meal and a chat together, so I went into town and bought some white fish to cook. This I poached in a creamy mushroom with almond sauce, and was pleased with the result. It's a long late journey home to Murten in the Canon of Fribourg for her afterwards, with train changes involved. Midnight would be the earliest she'd arrive, if not one in the morning. It's hard to imagine what it must have been like when Switzerland and Italy were one Archceaconry with the incumbent priest based in Milan. Adele took on the role in retirement, and with just eight chaplaincies, it keeps her quite busy. She has my admiration.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment