Saturday 10 March 2018

A suprise visitor

I drove to Velez Malaga's La Esperanza Funerarias Tanatorios this morning for an eleven o'clock start. It's an old municipal cemetery with a smallish traditionally ornate Catholic chapel, not much used these days, as a modern funeral complex has been built next it, with a downstairs chapel that can hold more than a hundred, and viewing rooms. At ground level, there's a spacious reception area a cafe bar, toilets of offices. We were assigned an hour slot, with large funerals before and after, and crowds of people coming, going, lingering, the space immediately outside the entrance doors think with smokers. Not the best planned arrangements to cater for all needs, but a tastefully furnished and well maintained semi-public space.

I arrived ahead of time, as did the widow and her sons and daughters in law. The coffin had already been installed, and several people wanted to view the deceased. By ten past eleven, grandchildren, neighbours and friends entered, so the service could then begin. I was asked to read the widow's tribute to her husband, five grandchildren between them read a farewell poem, and one daughter in law bravely read the scriptures she'd chosen the night before, her voice cracking at the final verse of Roman's eight 'Nothing can separate us from the love of God'. I persuaded the family to let me lead unaccompanied singing, which went well for two of the three hymns, but the final one turned out to be less familiar to more people than anticipated, so it wasn't so lustily sung, despite my best efforts. 

I joined the mourners for a drink and a generous supply of tapas after the service before returning to Malaga. This meant I didn't have to prepare lunch, which I was glad about, as the funeral had left me feeling somewhat drained, and needed a siesta on the sofa. In the past 24 hours I've driven over two hundred kilometres, that's as far as going to Kenilworth. In fact, the last time I drove a car was to make the trip there for Rhiannon's birthday three weeks ago. I don't mind driving, but only do so if I can't use public transport. It's one of the few ways I can reduce my carbon footprint.

In the evening I had a surprise social visit from a visiting priest and his wife were spending the weekend in Malaga, someone whose name I knew but hadn't met. We've both done locum duties in the same Spanish chaplaincies since retirement. It was delightful to have someone to compare notes with. It's rare that locums get to meet or contact one another. It would be good if the diocese put on a conference for locum pastors. There's a largeish group that may do several weeks a year, but I find there are others like me, pleased to occupy several months a year offering this ministry in different contexts. The diocese now has a trained group of interim chaplains, intended for long spells of duty, one to two years, managing a period of change. It's a great move, but doesn't involve the itinerants, who could help inform an interim chaplain's mission. Well, maybe that'll come as well eventually. It certainly was a pleasure to spend an evening chatting with a kindred spirit.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment