Tuesday 6 March 2018

Getting started in Malaga

I was awake just before the alarm at five, and after breakfast, left in a taxi for the city centre to catch the ten past six T9 airport shuttle. There were fewer people than last time queuing at the Vueling bag drop when I arrived, half an hour later. Even so, the flight was full. I'm not sure if the incoming flight from Malaga was delayed, or boarding took longer than usual, as we were half an hour late setting off and arriving. We flew through cloud all the way. For a change, I had an aisle seat and with no opportunity to see very little outside, dozed most of the way.

St George's organist David met me and delivered me to the chaplaincy apartment, familiar from my summer visit last year. Straightaway, I two food shopping trips, one to the SuperSol nearby and the other to Mercadona. I then cooked a meal, and organised my thoughts for tomorrow, when I have a midweek Communion plus Bible Study in the morning, followed by an afternoon Bible Study out in Velez Malaga. 

Doreen the Curate was assigned these duties, but the past couple of weeks of very heavy rainstorms have made getting around up country by car a precarious exercise, due to floods and hazards from rock strewn roads, plus unpredictable cloudbursts to make driving risky. She was unable to make it to Malaga last Sunday as a result. The seventy odd miles of motorway into the interior are not a problem. It's the caminos rurales, and the track from her hillside home up to a metalled road. Fine for most of the year, but Spain has long been notorious for the impact of its extreme weather events.

According to the press, in the past month, Andalusia has gone from water shortage to having full reservoirs. That's unusual of itself, and unexpected, apparently. Today has been dry and overcast. I wonder what it'll be like in the coming week?

No comments:

Post a Comment