Tuesday 31 July 2018

The inside view

On Sunday, preparation for today's colonoscopy appointment started with a switch to a simple low fibre diet, until yesterday afternoon. Then I had to move on to a liquids only fast. It didn't leave me with much energy, but I whiled away the time gathering some of the things I need to take with me to Montreux, earnestly hoping that the investigation wouldn't reveal anything that'd prevent me from leaving, especially as I have a Baptism preparation arranged for Friday and the service on Saturday.

Churchwarden Jane was in touch over the weekend to advise me of a second wedding blessing in four week's time. I dread the thought of not being able to meet the commitment I made, and need to arrange for another to take my place at short notice. The offer of an appointment, so quickly after the preliminary inspection wasn't to be turned down, however, after a six month wait.

At tea time I had to drink a litre of fluid over an hour, laced with oral re-hydration salts and laxative concocted to clear the bowels, called 'Moviprep', so I spent a quiet evening watching episodes of 'Bull' and 'NCIS' on the tablet, waiting for the inevitable, and it was half past midnight before I could relax into sleep. The worst part was having to get up at five this morning and repeat the one litre drinking feat with a second dose of 'Moviprep'. I didn't need to set the alarm as I usually wake at first light and then go back to sleep. By half past eight, I was thoroughly cleared out and ready for the trip to the Heath Hospital. We left early, anticipating heavy traffic but the roads were far quieter than usual as school holidays are now under way. 

I was welcomed and briefed by a delightful Iranian nurse, who said she'd lived in Britain 25 years and loved it here as much as she loved her homeland. She was obliged to fit me with a cannula just in case medication needed to be administered at short notice, but this required several attempts before she found a vein. I didn't want to be sedated and didn't think I'd need an analgaesic, so it wasn't used. As ever my blood pressure was high and this time set off the alarm, not surprising since the procedure obliged me to forego usual medication for forty eight hours beforehand. This I found a bit odd, but nobody made a fuss about it.  Then I had to shed my clothes and don operating theatre garb. The young consultant surgeon was surprisingly cheery and outgoing for a Monday morning. He introduced me to his multi-national theatre support team and answered my few preliminary questions before starting the procedure.

I was pleased to be able to watch the progress of the probe on a hi-def colour screen right in front of me, and found it fascinating to see my insides at close quarters. Such beautiful organic tunnel structures, with forms reminiscent of Gaudi's Sagrada Familia and other adventurous pieces of modern architecture. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable, despite the air being pumped through my innards to open the way for the probe. So I was able to relax, and be thankful that it needed neither sedation not analgaesic. I experienced worse when my digestive tract was playing up. I heard them point out my appendix en passant and was told that the probe had gone a metre up into my intestine. Best of all was the consultant's declaration that I have a healthy normal bowel, just a polyp that's doesn't require action and is nothing to worry about.

After a rest, a chat with the post-op team and a cup of tea, I was free to leave, and could have gone home on the bus - strictly verboten if you've been sedated - but Clare came and picked me up, and drove me home to a very welcome lunchtime meal.

Naturally I was nervous about it, and fretted over following the correct preliminary instructions from the sheet provided, but once I was there and met the team, I felt relaxed and at ease in their capable hands. In a strange sort of way it was quite an enjoyable experience. And, the way is cleared for me to be on my way to Switzerland on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment