Wednesday 12 September 2018

Final locum duties

I celebrated the midweek BCP Communion service at St John's for the last time this morning. Geoff with Poppy his golden retriever and Bethany-Ann plus her little daughter were there. Monica drove down from Les Avants to join us, and make her farewells. She's been so supportive of the Tuesday Bible discussion group over the past five years, as have Geoff and Joy.

Then I sent off my end of stay report to the Archdeacon and the diocesan office, and set addressed myself to tidying up and packing. With a 06.23 train to catch tomorrow morning, I need everything to be ready to go before I sleep.

Once I was satisfied with my efforts, I took the bus into town to get my train ticket for tomorrow, and as I had two hour ticket I returned to Territet and took the Funi to Glion, for a final overview of the lake on a sunny day. I conversed in German with a couple of visitors on the ascent, and was able to direct them to the lovely terrace garden overlooking the lake, belonging to the Hotel Righi Vaudois, for one of the best views, looking towards Vevey. It surprises me that this most neglected of languages that I once learned comes back to me enough to make myself understood.

Geoff and Joy invited me to have supper with them. We sat out on their terracem ate drank fine wine and talked until sunset, then we walked together with Poppy back to Territet along the promenade, before taking out leave of each other. This evening is actually the first time in a month that I've been able to sit down at a table for any length of time. Let's hope this holds good for the trip home.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment