Thursday 13 September 2018

Home journey

After about six hours broken sleep, I rose at 05.15. This gave me just enough time to treat my wound, sort out a travel first aid kit to go in my cabin rucksack with my breakfast sarnies, take the remaining rubbish out to the communal bins, bag up things to be collected for washing, then get myself across the road for the 06.23 S2 stopping train to Montreux gare. The 06.47 from there got me to Geneva airport at 07.59. Unlike when Clare travelled early last week, there were no crowds and no queues. I dropped off my bag and passed through into the departure lounge in a record 15 minutes from the train, which gave me a two and a half hour wait to boarding. This meant standing most of the time, as the hard seats available weren't designed for comfort. The train and plane seats were also quite firm, so getting comfortable meant bracing myself for support.

I had to wait for the airport bus and for a train at Temple Meads (which was delayed 5 minutes) and then got on a 61 bus home with enough time to drop off my bags at home and walk to the doctors. On Romilly Crescent, however, there was a 200m queue of stationary traffic, so I begged the driver to let me off in between stops, and walked straight to the surgery pulling my case and got there in good time. I came away with a week's course of penicillin to take, and a supplement to my existing blood pressure medication to try out. Inevitably, the surgery reading take was high, given the time I'd been travelling and the associated stress, so I'll wait and see how my readings are this week, while the antibiotic medication gets to work on what remains of the abscess.

Apart from unpacking and eating a meal, the remainder of the day was spent resting. The journey really took it out of me, so just relaxing at home after the stress of the past few weeks is a blessing.  I'm glad that me diary is empty for the weeks ahead.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment