Saturday 25 January 2020

A new ministry begun

Another wet day yesterday, although it did clear up in the afternoon so that I could walk to the other end of the parish for a bereavement visit for another funeral I have to take next week. Apart from that, it was a matter of routine tasks and a couple of hours novel writing in the evening,

This morning, I took the bus to the top end of Llandaff North and walked from there to Whitchurch Rectory to rendezvous with Peter Sedgwick and John Davies the Rector, to drive to Leominster for the licensing and induction of Rufus Noy as Team Vicar and Pioneer Minister at the Priory church. It's an hour and three quarter journey, the second half on winding country roads. Sadly, the weather was overcast and misty, so we didn't get to enjoy the sheer beauty of the countryside. We arrived at a quarter to one and had lunch in a town centre cafe before making our way to the church.

The last time I visited here was on a St John's Parish pilgrimage in 2009. I joined the robed clergy in choir, as requested. There were about twenty clergy altogether with the Bishop and Archdeacon. I was annoyed with myself for forgetting my clerical scarf in the rush to leave the house on time to get the bus. I was the only one without. I wear surplice and scarf so rarely, it's no longer habitual. Did I feel self conscious because I looked different? Or self conscious because I rarely join in with a group of clergy in any service since I retired, preferring to sit in the congregation instead. 

Anyway, it was good to be there to support Rufus. He had a tough time ministering in Monmouth diocese. Once he finished his curacy, he was given responsibility for setting up a new Ministry area which was deficient by design and poorly resourced. There was nothing beyond his competence and ability in what he was ordered to do. It was unrealistic from the outset and the quality of support he received leaves much to be desired. Today, Cherry Vann is being consecrated as the new Bishop of Monmouth. She's going to have a lot of troubleshooting to do, when she starts work in earnest.

We drove home in fog and mist, but made good time, and Fr John dropped me off at home just after half past five. I watched the last double episode of 'Wisting' in the evening. The conclusion was somewhat predictable, but nicely done. I guess there must be a second series in the pipeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment