Tuesday 28 January 2020

Job done at last

I woke up early after retiring late last night, so I woke up tired. After breakfast, rather fearful of making mistakes and having to re-print and re-fill the dreaded Spanish police check application form, I steeled myself and got to work.

It took me two hours to fill in, and much longer over the past fortnight to figure out exactly what I needed to do correctly. Legalese in a foreign culture is just as hard to decode if you're not an insider, no matter what the language. In the end I had to ring the diocesan administrator and quiz her about a few outstanding points, but once reassured, I was able to complete the job.

By midday, I'd taken it to the Post Office and sent it off recorded delivery. A thin A4 envelope, it cost me eight pounds to send, which astonished me. It's now a matter of waiting for a reply. I wonder if I'll get an operation date before my CRB certificate arrives from Spain? Admittedly I should hear about the former this week, but you never know with the NHS.

Late afternoon, I walked with Clare to the coach station where she bought herself a new coach card and booked a ticket to Heathrow for when she takes a flight to Phoenix to visit Rachel and Jasmine in two weeks time. After a few days of relatively mild weather a chill wind blew over Pontcanna Fields. I was feeling sluggish and tired, not having had enough sleep last night, and it made walking at a brisk pace an effort. Clare walked the mile and a quarter to the coach station a lot faster than I in an effort to get warm, and arrived there a couple of minutes ahead of me. 

I watched the conclusion of this week's 'Silent Witness' episode, started last night. It was very good in portraying the dilemmas of a busy forensic scientist daughter accompanying her dying mother with Alzheimer's disease, as one of the narrative threads running alongside a complex case. Beautifully acted by Liz Carr.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment