Monday 27 April 2020

State of Alarm - day Forty Two

I didn't sleep too well last night. I'm not exactly excited at the prospect of going home in three and a half weeks time and straight into quarantine. The weeks of self isolation to protect self and others have been necessary, staying safe has become habitual. Travelling home means having to think a lot more about how to stay safe and be on the alert in an open social context, a responsibility which I haven't had to think much about for the past two months. Resetting one's mind to take conscious precautions en route isn't a worry, but does inevitable has to be thought through so that I don't get caught out and come to grief.

Cooler and cloudy again today, but no rain. Much of the day I spent preparing and recording the Bible Study to upload for tomorrow, plus a couple of hours on the phone, plus two hours walking. And then it was bed-time. Time slips by so quickly.

This afternoon I had a call from a lady speaking Spanish but with the odd trace of Italian accent and vocabulary, enquiring about an interview to book a wedding. I explained to her that nothing was for the moment possible because of the Estadio de Alarma, but that en email at the end of May would be the best way to ensure a meeting could be arranged. I was delighted that she understood me and that I didn't need to repeat myself or say 'no entiendo'. It's the first time I've used Spanish since I was overnight in Palma at the start of this Spanish sojourn. How ironic!

St Catherine's Churchwarden Hilary sent me some photos of the churchyard garden. She, husband Clive and Gareth have been spending many lock down hours social distancing while clearing new patches of ground, pruning and sprouting plants this past few weeks. A wonderful prophetic sign of hope and renewal, giving God a hand instead of feeling helpless. It makes me feel guilt about the jungle outside I walk around daily. The weather hasn't been great, I wait for it to dry up a bit, then it rains, but I really must get the strimmer out and do some tidying. Soon.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment