Thursday 3 December 2020

Movie music nostalgia

After a good long sleep, another successful video upload on time before breakfast this morning. Then a walk down to St John's to celebrate the Eucharist with six others. I had an awkward moment when I couldn't find any surgical gloves to wear for distributing Communion but a member of the congregation found an unused one in her car and that saved me from being in a situation where I wasn't able to keep the safety protocols. I've not been in the habit of carrying gloves around with me, as I've not needed them, but always a couple of masks. That'll have to change. Lesson learned.

Yesterday a filleted salmon arrived from Ashton's in Central market, ordered by Clare, delivered with an invoice, then paid for over the phone - very old school trading! She cooked us a fish soup with winter veggies for lunch today, as delicious treat made with the remains of the filleted fish. For once, I didn't need a nap, so I went out for a walk straightaway around the Fields and down to Blackweir, and took some pre-sunset photos with my Olympus. It's an interesting piece of kit, and it's taking me time to get to know. 

I had this idea about taking a batch of black and white pictures, but couldn't find out the setting to change from colour to monochrome. In the absence of an operating manual, I googled and found a howto page, which still proved difficult to figure out, as the range of features which can be changed is very wide, and the menus are deep. I've now got the monochrome option stored as a present for the next time I take the camera out with me.

In the evening we watched the classic 1956 movie 'High Society' together. Neither of us are sure if we ever saw this when we were young, but the most of the songs performed in it we both know very well, as Clare inherited the family long playing album of the film music, which meant we could sing along while remembering our adolescence. What fun! 

The evening ended with a documentary portrait of artist Tracey Emin with film footage and interviews of her development over the past 25 years, plus extensive recent footage of an interview with Alan Yentob. It was an interesting apologia for her unrestrained often crude personal honesty about her life. An evidently gifted creative artist confidently expressing herself in a wide range of media, and a fascinating journey from youth to middle age, and a celebration of her individualism, though I admit that I don't find much of her work appealing.


No comments:

Post a Comment