Friday 18 December 2020

Again, rising waters, rising infections

There was a lot of rain again overnight, and water engulfed the Blackweir fish ladder for the second time this week. A solitary heron was on fish watch a couple of metres away from me on the waters edge just below the weir gradient where the waters were boiling. I got a few good static photos but as ever only blurry ones when it took off, circled and landed again just a few metres further or, before finally flying away altogether. The flood waters are draining away well, even if they've come within thirty centimetres of the footpath at the top of the weir twice this week so far.

Returning from the park, I ran across the pelican crossing just as the bleeps were stopping before the cars in both directions could start up. In doing so I lost my Samsung phone from a side pocket. I only realised this when I got home, but before i could start fretting my sister June rang up on the house phone to tell me that I'd lost it! Apparently a man living at the top end of Cathedral Road saw this happen, and retrieved it from the middle of the road. As I don't lock the phone (never using it for any kind of financial transaction) he was able to open it and found June's name and number at the top of the 'recent calls' list. Within fifteen minutes I was able to reclaim it from him at his house. It turns out that he's the nephew of our previous next door neighbours in the Rectory and Queen Anne Square, christened and married at St John's church. A small world indeed. I was very lucky, even if it was the first time I have ever lost a mobile phone.

More disturbing news coming in today about a coronavirus variant which is more contagious, spreading quicker than previous variants, and accounting for the stubbornly persistent rise in numbers of infected people. It's not just that many people have become less vigilant about mask wearing, social distancing and hand washing, but that, in effect a smaller amount of the virus is able to latch on to the respiratory system and infect, so the chances are increased of chance passing contact, let alone careless behaviour, can infect a person. They may have milder symptoms or none at all, but be virus super-spreaders without realising. 

Central government is dithering, but exhorting greater vigilance and compliance. Regional governments are worried and issuing similar messages. Wales has so far announced another period of harder restrictions after Christmas, to mitigate the impact of the easing of the present restrictions for five days of Christmas festivities. Leading have for some days openly warned of the danger of any easing of restrictions, but the Prime Minister seems hard of hearing, or else slow brained. Following the science, but from behind ... at a suitable social distance, you might say.

Mother Frances has invited me to preside at the Christmas Sunday Eucharist at St Catherine's, which I'm happy to do as it will give someone a break, hopefully. She's also asked me to do a video Morning Prayer and 'Thought for the Day' combined for the 31st December. I need to work on that pronto, as she wants to get all the next week's videos in place by this coming Monday. Nice to be asked, and to be well enough to respond positively. Also nice to receive a Christmas greeting card from Bishop June, who seems aware I've been in Spain. I must send her a copy of our greeting and newsletter.

Another Baltic murder mystery on More Four channel this evening, continuing the story-line of the first two episodes. This isn't a long drawn out hunt for a serial killer or terrorist but a police procedural with a different case each episode, but the background story thread is about mother daughter, grand-daughter relationships in a family of law officers. Interestingly enough it's also about reconciliation and forgiveness. I hope there are more episodes to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment