Friday 4 December 2020

Going monochrome

Another successful video upload this morning, but only after a failure occasioned by another wretched 'memory full' notification from my phone. I had to uninstall a couple of apps to and delete a few files for the thing to upload without snagging, and so it was twenty minutes later than planned before the job was done, and I could breathe a sigh of relief.

I was out and about not long after breakfast walking beside the river Taff, Olympus camera in hand, filter set to produce monochrome images. In fact, colour and monochrome copies are made at the same time, which could be useful, although it doubles the space taken up on the memory card. My route took me past the Castle and back across Cooper's field to the Millennium Bridge. Castle Street is open again to traffic, apparently restricted to buses, taxis, hire cars and presumably delivery vehicles.. It'll lower pollution levels, even if the car traffic congestion shifts to populated streets just outside the city centre. How long before a congestion charge is imposed, I wonder?

It was quite sunny to start with, then clouded over, so I had an opportunity to take high contrast images and rather grey atmospheric wintry ones. Exploring both sets of images at post-processing and editing stage was an interesting learning experience. Not all colour photos work the same rendered in monochrome, some look better and some are worse, even after you've tinkered with them in an editing suite.

I went to Tescos after lunch to buy a large bottle of brandy for Clare to use in making up another batch of a Swedish Bitters herbal remedy. When I returned she told me she'd asked me to get two as she's making double the amount of the decoction this time. Somehow it hadn't registered. Was this incredulity on my part?

In the evening we watched the first two episodes of a French crime drama 'The Announcer' on the Channel 4 Water Presents stream, set in a  1960s Parisian TV company. As one reviewer said "It's like a blend of 'Mad Men' with Agatha Christie", as the heroine at great risk to career and life sets out to unmask the cover-up of a teenager's murder. She's also mother to a couple of rebellious teenagers, in an era when teens first really began to explore how to be stroppy. Following this, I dipped into a Channel 4 live stream of a new series called 'Nordic Murders', a little confusing, as it was in German with English subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment